Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Book Thoughts: Twilight

I've never listed vampire books as one of my reading interests (I've never even picked up an Anne Rice book), and I'm still fairly sure that two books don't qualify me for the category. But the two I've read have been fabulous. My first venture into this genre was Sunshine, by Robin McKinley, which I read about two years ago. My second was Twilight.

I read Twilight (by Stephenie Meyer) in two evenings last week. I started it on Thursday night, and only the thought that I would have to present coherent lessons the next day compelled me to go to bed. I finished it Friday night (after getting home from a second viewing of Pride & Prejudice, which I have now seen for the third time -- more on that later).

Here's an excerpt from the front flap: When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. . . . Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret.

Okay, so it sounds like a sappy romance. But it's really not -- it's well-written, focused, and fast-paced. And it was the perfect escape from school work. :-) The author has created solid characters and tense conflict. At the same time, this novel is surprisingly chaste (unlike many other YA books, or vampire books for that matter). The author is a Mormon, which certainly influences her perspective. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this books to some of my students.

The book is classed as a YA novel, though I read in Publishers Weekly that booksellers aren't quite sure where to put it -- teen, adult, fantasy, horror, romance. It's got elements of all, which make it a great read. The author has planned at least two more books as sequels, which I'm quite glad to know.

I also love the cover. I'm quite influenced by book covers, and this one is striking in its simplicity. The author also includes Genesis 2:17 in the opening pages: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof, thou shalt surely die. I found the parallels between biting and death, as well as the love that overcomes that death, to be a fascinating element.

So if you want a good, chilling read this winter, I highly recommend this book.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The second book is good as well, and a third expected out in July.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home