Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Superbowl is related to football, right?

My students cannot believe that I have nearly zero interest in sports. But Miss Ruffner, how can you not enjoy football?! They produce their great arguments for the benefits and enjoyment of sports. And I do not disagree with them, as I repeatedly tell them. But I personally get no benefit nor enjoyment from watching people run into each other on TV. I will grant that my interest rises ever so slightly when I'm at a live game. Which, yes, is rare.

This week they even tried to convince me to pick a Superbowl favorite based on team colors. Surely, Miss Ruffner, you like black and orange better than grey and . . . . (I can't even remember what the other team's colors are!)

They asked me if I'd ever been to a Superbowl party. I had to think. No, I don't think I've ever been to a . . . oh, wait! Yes, I have been to one! A couple years ago, I went over to my friend Chris's house when she and her husband hosted a Superbowl party. So there.

Of course, Chris and I sat in another room and watched "Pride & Prejudice."
But that's beside the point.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like Micah. He's not into football or most other sports either. Except he's been watching lots of tennis recently.
I remember that Superbowl party. I was torn between watching the game or watching P&P. In my case though, watching the game won out.
Thanks for the laugh.

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what's up with me and tennis. I used to find the idea of watching sports on tv (other than soccer sometimes) so boring and a waste of time. I enjoy being at games usually. But tv? And tennis? Where did that come from? But I started watching one match and another and then I was following players. And I was getting so excited. I love it. I can't even explain it. I guess this is what Christa meant about sports being exciting all these years. Although I have chosen a interesting one to start with. Who knows, maybe by this time next year, I'll actually care about the Super Bowl.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean! I don't even know who is in the running. :)

7:47 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

The Steelers and Seahawks...go Steelers! One can have a dual life of sports and literature. :-)

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home