Monday, May 22, 2006

Role Model


This morning I had NPR on as I got ready for the day, half listening as I contemplated (and rejoiced over!) how few remaining days there are until I don't have to get up at that early hour anymore -- well, for at least a few months. And what report should come on to encourage me (and somewhat rebuke me!) but a story of a woman who's been teaching English for nearly 70 years and is just now retiring. It was fabulous! Hazel Haley has been teaching at the same school since 1939. She says that she's seen a decline in students' valuing the acquisition of a body of knowledge; too many are concerned only with what's on the test. But she also comments that while the world has changed, her students have not changed much over the years -- that they struggle with same things that Adam and Eve did. Her story and her love for her students did much to energize me for the day.

You can listen to the story here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beverly said...

My, that's amazing. I believe I have read about her before. She started teaching before I was born, and I just got my Medicare card in the mail.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home