Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Aha! New Uses for Old Things

The magazine Real Simple typically has a section called "Solutions: New Uses for Old Things," in which an item intended for one use is given an "Aha!" use -- something new to do with the item. Here's an example, in which a shower caddy, originally intended to hold extra shower items, is given an "Aha!" use of holding extra laundry, pantry, or gardening supplies. They recommend hanging it on a doorknob. All that to say, I thought I would do my own "New Use for an Old Thing" (I must give credit to my mother for this suggesting that I post about this!)

For the last few years, I've had a giant leather school bag which I've used to tote books, papers, and supplies to and from school. Since I didn't have my own classroom, and the school didn't have much extra storage space, having a big bag to hold everything was essential. And I think my fellow teachers would attest that my bag was big.

Well, I don't need that big bag this year. Everything can stay in my classroom, and I'll only need to take home items that I need on that particular evening. So I was on the lookout for a new, smaller bag. I browsed for a while at Target the other day, and after wandering through the purse/bag section and then through the school supplies section, I ended up in the gardening section. And that's when I saw it. A gardening tote! It was adorable! And it had tons of pockets! (I think it's safe to say I was excited.) All those little pockets just charmed me -- a pocket for pens, a pocket for a calculator, a pocket for post-it notes, and on and on. The bag has 8 pockets in all around the outside of the bag. In addition the bag has a reinforced bottom, so it can bear the weight of the books I'll put in it without looking misshapen. So that's my new use for an old thing.


Solutions: New Uses for Old Things















Garden Tote


Original Purpose:
Keeping seeds, trowels, and gloves neatly organized as you dig around in the dirt.

Aha! Use:
Organizing school supplies (pens, pencils, markers, calculators, notepads, and, paper clips) in neatly separated compartments with ample space for books.

Reward:
Organized teacher, cute bag -- it's bound to be a successful year!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aha! And it's GREEEEN... :-)

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love "ahas"!! You might just steal Real Simple's thunder with your own ideas. Keep 'em coming.

11:59 AM  
Blogger admin said...

Proper and Excellent content Thanks for sharing keep it. Visit Our lovely Life Time Pharmacy Secure Store
Adderall 30mg for sale | 30mg Oxycodone near you | buy Oxycontin online 80mg in USA secure

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home