Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Something for your radar screen

Here's a shameless plug for the fall release of "The Namesake," the movie adaptation of one of my favorite contemporary novels. I still remember discovering Jhumpa Lahiri's writing when I was in grad school (for some odd reason, I distinctly recall taking Literary Research that semester). Her short story collection, Interpreter of Maladies (which won the Pulitzer in 2000), and her novel, The Namesake, focus on Indian-American immigrants and their struggles to find a new identity while straddling cultures. I can't recommend this author enough. So, read the books, and then watch the movie this fall. I'm hoping the movie does justice to this author's storytelling abilities.

2 Comments:

Blogger FellowElder said...

Hi Andrea,
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been looking for some good fiction to read. Been in a fiction mood. Oh! Tell your mom I thoroughly enjoyed "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency." Good stuff. So when will we some fine writing from you in print?

Thanks for stopping by the blog and commenting re: your favorite hymns.

Grace and peace,
Thabiti

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home