Sunday, July 30, 2006

Sunday Hymn

I'd never heard this song before coming to Capitol Hill Baptist Church. Hearing this hymn sung by hundreds of strong a cappella voices is an experience to be treasured. I'm hoping we sing it again soon.

Hark, I hear the harps eternal
Ringing on the farther shore,
As I near those swollen waters
With their deep and solemn roar.

Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, praise the lamb!
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Glory to the great I AM!


And my soul, though stained with sorrow,
Fading as the light of day,
Passes swiftly o’er those waters,
To the city far away.

Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, praise the lamb!
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Glory to the great I AM!


Souls have crossed before me, saintly,
To that land of perfect rest;
And I hear them singing faintly
In the mansions of the blest.

Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Hallelujah, praise the lamb!
Hallelujah, hallelujah,
Glory to the great I AM!


~ traditional American hymn, arranged by Alice Parker

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

That's one of the greatest ever. I think the reason you'd never heard it before is that it was composed as a choral piece and adapted for congregational singing by Vell, specially for our church.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Wow, I didn't know that either. What a wonderful thing to do for CHBC! :-) When I was looking online for the lyrics, it only appeared as a choral piece.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Thank you for sharing that wonderful hymn.

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrea,
This is one of my mom's favorites. Our family is kind of like the mascot for the University Chorale, since we haven't missed any of their concerts for about 15 years. They used to have this in their concert repertoire several years ago, and she used to beg Warren Cook to program it in future concerts.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone noticed that the song is essentially the same a "Come, thou fount of every blessing..." ?

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home