Friday, June 16, 2006

Movie Thoughts: The New World

I never saw this movie in theaters when it came out last year. I'm not sure why. I found the trailers interesting. I like early American history. Maybe I was somewhat skeptical that this might simply be another Disneyesque remake of history, though without the singing forest animals.






But then I read Will Gray's excellent and compelling review of this movie on his blog Explorations. So I added it to the top of my Netflix queque. It came in the mail two days ago, and I watched it this afternoon.

Will was right. It was beautiful. Much of the movie is quiet and thoughtful, and I loved the minimalization/understatement of key events (such as when the first indication of a baby's birth is a shot of his hand), which I think simply makes the emotion of the scene that more affective. I loved this movie. I would watch it again. And I highly recommend it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

This makes me want to see the movie now! (Of course, it doesn't mitigate the disappointment of knowing that, while I was in OH, none of my VA friends drove to W'burg to inspect Colin Farrell in person...)

10:36 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Andrea - thanks for visiting our site! I've no idea how you found it (as we didn't tell anyone that I know)...anyway, glad you liked it...AND a listing as your favourite! Honoured, thank you. We have to take some lessons from you...we are bloggy babes. See you Sunday Lord willing.
PS hope you have dusted off your dancing shoes for Riverdance?
S&JA&JrW-Y

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home