Monday, August 14, 2006

One book . . .

I've never been tagged before, but thanks to Thabiti, here goes! :-)

1. One book that changed your life: The Art of Biblical Narrative, Robert Alter (has made me read the Old Testament in a deeper, more understanding manner)

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne (the more I read it, the more I love it)

3. One book I’d want on a desert island: Emma, Jane Austen

4. One book that made you laugh: The Pursuit of Love, Nancy Mitford (Runner up: I'm a Stranger Here Myself, Bill Bryson)

5. One book that made you cry: Girl Meets God, Lauren Winner (Runner up: The Red Tent, Anita Diamant, which I cannot fully recommend, but which I still distinctly remember crying at the end of.)

6. One book that you wish you had written: Interpreter of Maladies, Jhumpa Lahiri (Runner up: I Capture the Castle, Dodie Smith)

7. One book you wish had never been written: Hard Times, Charles Dickens (Runner up: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, James Joyce)

8. One book that you are currently reading: 44 Scotland Street, Alexander McCall Smith (quite charming, originally printed as a serial in Smith's local daily paper in Scotland)

9. One book that you’ve been meaning to read: Will in the World, Stephen Greenblatt (got through a chapter and a half . . . about a month ago . . . hmmm)

And now, I tag . . . Megan, Bet, and Christa!

2 Comments:

Blogger FellowElder said...

Just finished reading (or having Kristie read to me) Lauren Winner's Girl Meets God. She is an exceptional writer, good storyteller. I enjoyed it a great deal.

You're quite the reader. Good varied tastes. I'm going to have to find a way to "get some culture!"

Grace and peace,
Thabiti

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the by I LOVED the movie version of I capture the Castle!!!

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home