Thursday, August 31, 2006

Back to Reality

In other words, back to school. And, yes, this is a picture of me at dinner this evening!

This week has been a preparation week for classes, which begin next Wednesday. And I can't believe how exhausted I am already! :-) (Which is why this picture made me laugh.) Granted, my summer sleeping schedule averaged 11pm/12am - 8am/9am. This week I've gotten up at 6:15am each morning. And that's just the "ease back into routine" wake-up time. Once classes start, it will have to be 5:30am. This is always the hardest part of going back to school! I always have a lot of sympathy for my students -- they tend to look shell-shocked the first week back.

I have five classes this year: English 8 (a new class for me, though the material -- ancient/classical -- isn't all new), English 11 (American Lit, always my favorite), two writing classes, and a Shakespeare class. Undoubtedly, my blog posts will soon begin to revolve around my small but consuming world of students, papers, classes, and books. Let the fun begin!

3 Comments:

Blogger cbo said...

I love the picture! I've felt that way this week too. We actually started classes on Monday, so I've already seen my shell-shocked students this week. I ended up with a 4 day weekend instead of 3 because of Ernesto. I've never been so happy to have a rainy day. :)
Have fun with your 8th graders!

11:32 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

Poor kitty...poor you!!! Try to keep your chin up - milk goatees aren't really in for anyone right now... :-)

11:25 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I love that photo, and it does so well describe how a teacher feels at the beginning of the year. My son is teaching eighth grade math for the first time this year, actually teaching for the first time. When I talked to him after his first day, he said, "I'm so tired." I remember well those days.

Have a good year.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home