Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Big News!

I'm getting married!!

This past Saturday, Jeff Cavanaugh asked me to marry him, and it was with great joy that I said, "Yes!"

(Well, actually, it was more like, "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!!!!!")

I met Jeff last fall soon after I started attending Capitol Hill Baptist Church. Jeff was an intern (and interns aren't allowed to date!), but I was particularly struck upon meeting him with his kindness and gentlemanly demeanor. In November, he sat in on my membership interview (which, I discovered later, was not coincidental). One night in December after a church caroling outing, he pulled up a chair and started talking with me. My interest was most definitely perked after that conversation, which was primarly about literature if I recall correctly. And over the next few months, we kept talking. At church. At Sunday lunch. At the circus. At IHOP. At the baseball game. At Starbucks. And then in May, all that talking culminated with a most lovely talk over an Italian dinner one night when Jeff asked if we could date seriously. And I said yes. (Hmm . . . I love foreshadowing!)

So, fast forward through one fabulous summer (I've never been so thrilled to be a teacher and to have the summer off!), and we arrive at Saturday, September 2. All I thought we were up to was afternoon shopping followed by a movie and dinner. But on the way, as we drove past the National Cathedral (which I'd toured for the first time with him just a few Saturdays earlier), Jeff suggested that we stop and see if there was any information on a concert that we're hoping to attend in November. We asked about the concert, then meandered through the church's great bookshop, and then headed outside where Jeff suggested we walk down some paths surrounding the cathedral and winding around smaller buildings. And then in a quiet corner of the pathway, Jeff asked me to marry him, and I was able to say yes again, though this time with even greater delight!

I'm continually amazed and delighted that God has so clearly brought Jeff into my life. We are so looking forward to marriage and a future of reading great books, drinking great coffee, and enjoying God and each other!

(And we'll try to get pictures up at some point! Picture-taking hasn't been our strong suit in this relationship!)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yahoo! I'm so glad you posted the story! We are so excited for both of you!

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Andrea and Jeff. Best wishes and earnest prayers.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I forgot to ask about the ring?! :) With your comments about picture-taking, should I even ask if the picture in the post is yours? :)

Congratulations again. I'm so excited for you.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to you both!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Pastor Timothy said...

Congratulations!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Congratulations. How exciting to click on your blog and read this news.

5:45 PM  
Blogger FellowElder said...

Congratulations to the both of you! What great news! Praying for you two... who couldn't be better matched!

Thabiti, Kristie, Afiya, Eden, and "Junior" Anyabwile

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOO happy for you!!! God bless you both! From your fellow Victorian lit classmate and "You've got Mail" friend.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where is the promised picture? :)

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home